Navien Sued Over Deaths Caused by Carbon Monoxide from its Tankless Water Heater

The estate of a family who died of carbon-monoxide poisoning in May 2019 recently filed suit against Navien Inc., the manufacturer of the NPE-240A tankless water heater that had been installed in the family’s home just six months earlier.

Tankless water heaters, also known as demand-type or instantaneous water heaters, heat water only as it is needed, rather than rely on a large storage tank that requires constant heat and has limited supply. Tankless water heaters are able to heat water quickly using heat exchangers, which transfer heat generated by electric coils or coils heated by a gas-fired burner to water circulating through tubes wrapped around the heated coils.

This is not the first time Navien has found itself in hot water due to carbon monoxide problems with its tankless water heaters. In 2011, Navien recalled about 13,000 of its model CR-180(A), CR-210(A), CR-240(A), CC-180(A), CC-210(A), and CC-240(A) tankless water heaters due to unstable connections that caused the vent collar to separate, allowing carbon monoxide gas to spread through the house. More recently, in 2019, Navien recalled approximately 3,400 of its model NPE-180A, NPE-180S, and NCB-180E because the conversion kit converting natural gas to propane could cause the units to produce excessive amounts of carbon monoxide.

The attorneys at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner have been fighting for the rights of people injured by defective products for decades. If you or someone you know has been injured by a defective product, contact the experienced attorneys at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner at (713) 222-7211 or toll free at 713-222-7211.