Attorneys Dedicated to Serving Their Clients and the Community
At Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner, our attorneys not only help our clients, but we also enjoy helping the community. We do this in a variety of ways, from actively participating in state and local bar associations to serving on boards of charitable foundations and associations. To learn more about how we are committed to serving our clients and the community, below are a few of the organizations in which our attorneys are involved.
Hispanic National Bar Association. The HNBA works to promote the retention and recruitment of Hispanic law students, holds workshops and conferences, testifies at governmental hearings, and educates the Hispanic community about the American legal system.
- Chairman, Task Force on Unaccompanied Minors Humanitarian Crisis, 2014 – 2015, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- President, 2011 – 2012, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Co-Founder, HNBA Legal Education Fund, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Founder and Co-Editor, HBNA Journal of Law and Policy, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
Houston Bar Association. The Houston Bar Association is a professional non-profit association for attorneys in Houston. With nearly 12,000 members, the HBA is the fifth largest metropolitan bar association in the nation and provides education, professional development, and service programs for both the legal profession and the community. The HBA helps coordinate a number of fundraising and charity drives, including the annual HBA Book Drive and the HBA Clothing Drive.
- President, 2019 – 2020, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- President Elect, 2018 – 2019, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Second Vice-President, 2013 – 2014, 2015 – 2016, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- First Vice President, 2012 – 2013, 2014 – 2015, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Co-Chair, Law and the Media Committee, 2014 – 2015, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Mentor, Mentor/Protege Program, 2012 – 2015, Former Firm Partner and Partner Brant J. Stogner
- President, Dispute Resolution Center, 2012 – 2013, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Volunteer, HBA Law Day Mock Jury Selection, 2012, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Board of Directors, 2008 – 2011, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Co-Chair, Law Week Committee, 2011 – 2012, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- President, 2005 – 2006, Former Firm Partner
- Volunteer, HBA Law Day Reading, Attorneys Benny Agosto, Jr., Brant J. Stogner, and Imrana Manzanares
- Pro-Bono Clinic Volunteer, Michael DeBakey VA Hospital, Partners Benny Agosto, Jr. and Muhammad Aziz
Houston Lawyer Referral Service. A nonprofit organization sponsored by the HBA that is tasked with assisting the community find reputable lawyers in a wide variety of legal fields. The goal is to assist the general public in obtaining access to legal advice and counsel and to provide information about available legal services.
- Board of Directors, 2012 – 13, 2014 – 2016, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Board of Trustees, 2011 – 2012, Partner Brant J. Stogner
Houston Trial Lawyers Association. HTLA is an organization of members comprised of trial lawyers who represent people who are damaged and need legal representation. HTLA stands up for the rights of plaintiffs and the trial lawyers who represent them. HTLA is proud to have a united membership of attorneys committed to providing services, information, networking and continuing education seminars for our members.
- Co-Chair, Membership Committee, 2009 – Present, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Member, Membership Committee, 2015 – Present, Attorney Steven R. Hollingsworth
- Volunteer/Sponsor, Annual Holiday Party, 2013 – Present, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Membership Committee, Member, 2015 – Present, Attorney Steve R. Hollingsworth
- Board of Directors, 2009 – 2012, Attorney Brant J. Stogner
- Volunteer, Adopt a Classroom Project, Partner Muhammad Aziz
- Board of Directors, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- President, 1999 – 2000, Former Firm Partner
- Vice-President, 1997 – 1999, Former Firm Partner
- Board of Directors, 1992 – 1997, Former Firm Partner
Houston Young Lawyers Association. HYLA is a local bar association that allows “young lawyers an opportunity to better know one another and to informally exchange ideas regarding the profession.” It coordinates a number of community projects and programs, including the Legal Needs for Abused Women, Know Your Rights Legal Information Program, Radio Legal News Show, and Internet and the Law Seminar, and the Aspiring Youth Program. The HYLA Board helps coordinate these programs and other community projects – most recently the Adopt an Angel program and by helping displaced families affected by the recent wildfires in Texas.
- Board of Directors, 2011 – 2012, Partner Muhammad Aziz
- Fellow, Partner Muhammad Aziz
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program. HVLP helps low-income citizens that other programs often cannot serve because they do not meet the financial criteria of other legal assistance programs or are non-US citizens. HVLP’s commitment to helping those in need strongly reinforces how deeply the legal profession cares about the Houston community.
- Legal Clinic focused on Veterans’ Needs, Partner Muhammad Aziz
Mexican-American Bar Association of Texas Foundation (MABATx). MABATx is a forum and a means for lawyers to promote the social, economic, and educational advancement of the people of Texas. It strives to serve the Mexican-American populace, all Hispanics, by providing services, assistance and advice on matters of legal concern to the community, all the while encouraging respect, fairness, justice, and equality. The Mexican-American Bar Association of Texas Foundation was established in 2006 by Benny Agosto, Jr. when he seized the opportunity to establish a foundation to benefit Hispanic law students by awarding scholarships to the Houston-based law schools. From the beginning, MABATx Foundation has hosted an Annual Luncheon as its principal fundraising effort for the year.
- Founder and President, 2006 – Present, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
Shifa Legal Resource Center. The Center is non-profit organization and provides free legal counseling, medical services and other community assistance for those in need.
- Legal Counseling Volunteer, Partner Muhammad Aziz
State Bar of Texas. The State Bar of Texas is the governing body for all licensed attorneys in the State of Texas. The State Bar is governed by a board of directors who volunteer their valuable time and professional experience to the organization. The board’s diverse expertise allows the State Bar of Texas to continue to provide high-quality services and programs to both its members and the public. The board members receive no monetary compensation and are elected by State Bar members.
- President, 2019 – 2020, Former Firm Partner
- President Elect, 2018 – 2019, Former Firm Partner
- Chair, Hispanic Issues Section, 2014 – 2015, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
Texas Access to Justice Commission. The Texas Access to Justice Commission was created in 2001 to address the wide disparity and opportunities for low income individuals to gain access to justice. The commission is comprised from members of the law, education, public service and non-profit sectors.
- Commissioner, 2009 – 2012, Former Firm Partner
Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists. TACTAS is an organization that promotes the availability, accessibility and quality of services of personal injury, civil trial, and appellate specialists. TACTAS advances the standard of the legal profession in these specialty areas. Its membership includes only attorneys and judges who obtained board certification in these areas.
- President, 2014 – 2015, Former Firm Partner
- Vice-President, 2013 – 2014, Former Firm Partner
- Chair-Elect, 2013 – 2014, Former Firm Partner
- Secretary, 2012 – 2013, Former Firm Partner
- Treasurer, 2012 – 2013, Former Firm Partner
- Board of Directors, 2011 – 2012, Former Firm Partner
- Secretary, 2011 – 2012, Former Firm Partner
Texas Bar Foundation. The Texas Bar Foundation is the largest charitably-funded bar foundation in the nation. Membership is composed of the most elite Texas attorneys who are nominated because of their dedication to the administration of justice and high professional standing of that lawyer’s peers.
- Chair, Fellows, 2014 – 2015, Former Firm Partner
- New Fellows Committee, 2012 – 2013, Former Firm Partner
- Samuel Pessarra Outstanding Jurist Award Committee, 2012 – 2013, Former Firm Partner
- Chairman, Policy Manual Committee, 2012 – 2013, Former Firm Partner
- Chairman, Investment Committee, 2010 – 2011, Former Firm Partner
- Trustee, 1997 – 2000, 2009 – 2012, Former Firm Partner
- Fellow, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
Texas Trial Lawyers Association. The Texas Trial Lawyers Association is a member organization comprised of Plaintiffs’ attorneys. Its mission is to protect the rights of Texas families serving as a defender of the civil justice system in Texas, providing legislative representation for individuals who are injured in the Texas State Legislature and serves to provide cutting edge continuing legal education for trial lawyers.
- Vice President of Finance, 2010 – 2012, Former Firm Partner
- Treasurer, Executive Committee, 2012 – 2014, Former Firm Partner
- Secretary, Executive Committee, 2012 – 2014, Former Firm Partner
- Board of Directors, 1995 – 2010, Former Firm Partner
Text Free Texas (#TxtFreeTX) Scholarship Contest. Our firm sponsors the Text Free Texas Scholarship Contest in order to promote safe teen driving. We extend this annual scholarship opportunity to driving age students at four Texas high schools. During Distracted Driving Awareness Month (April), eligible students share on our firm’s Google + or Facebook pages about why they the commit to not text and drive. At the end of April, we present a $250 scholarship to one student from each of the four schools.
Community Outreach at Texas Schools. In addition to working with these various organizations and associations, the attorneys at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner continue to give back to their alma maters and other local schools:
- President, South Texas College of Law Houston Alumni Association, 2018 – 2019, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- President, South Texas College of Law Houston Alumni Association, 2017 – 2018, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Spring Branch American Little League, Team Manager and Sponsor, 2017, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Spring Branch American Little League, Timbergrove Sports Association, Spring Branch-Memorial, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Sports Association, Head Coach (Baseball, Basketball, Soccer), 2017 – Present, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Monarch Oaks Civic Association, Board of Directors, 2016 – 2018, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Monarch Oaks Civic Association, 2nd Vice President, 2016 – 2018, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- The Former Firm Partner Legal Clinics, after receiving a substantial donation from Former Firm Partner, the South Texas College of Law Houston named its legal clinics in his honor.
- South Texas College of Law Houston Board of Directors, 2013 – 2015, Former Firm Partner
- South Texas College of Law Houston Alumni Association Board of Directors, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- South Texas College of Law Houston Alumni Association Board of Directors, 2012 – Present, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- South Texas College of Law Houston Young Alumni Council, Board Member, 2010 – Present, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Adjunct Advocacy Professor/Varsity Coach for Mock Trial and Moot Court teams at South Texas College of Law Houston, 2006 – Present, Partner Brant J. Stogner
- Guest Speaker on Career Day, Sam Houston State University, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.
- Guest lecturer on Criminal Justice and Forensic Science at Klein High School, Partner Benny Agosto, Jr.