A Pennsylvania man has filed a lawsuit against the online retail outlet Amazon after a defective external phone charger that he purchased on the website exploded in his pocket. The suit claims Amazon was aware of the dangers presented by the EasyAcc phone charger prior to the victim’s purchase due to customer reports of similar issues occurring; however, the device remains available for new purchases.
The explosion is reminiscent of recent incidents involving electronic cigarette batteries unexpectedly exploding or catching fire, as well as the well-document history of issues with Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 phone batteries. Unfortunately, this latest incident only further highlights the dangers presented by portable battery packs that store immense amounts of electrical power, yet are often plagued by a lack of safety features and designs.
Cases involving defective battery injuries often require extensive expert-witness discovery to prove that a battery could have been designed more safely. Moreover, such cases may also involve numerous product manufacturers and distributors, requiring thorough investigation into which companies may bear legal responsibility for the product failure.
It takes the skill of a competent personal injury attorney to properly evaluate a potential claim and ensure that all the legal requirements are fulfilled before taking action for injuries or deaths sustained due to battery explosions or fires. If you were injured due to an explosion or fire involving a portable battery pack or similar device, it is important to find a skilled law firm with experience handling personal injury cases. The law firm of Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner is the oldest personal injury firm in Texas, and our attorneys are standing by to assist with your claim. Call us today at 713-396-3964 or 800-594-4884 for your free consultation.