Texas House Explosion Caused by Gas Leaking into Sewer Line

Figure 1: Home where the explosion occurred. Photo credit: www.Fox4News.com.

Around 4:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 20, 2024, a home exploded in Carrolton, Texas, near the 1800 block of Highland Drive. The house caught fire after the explosion, which the Carrollton Fire Department was able to put out quickly. Crews found one victim in the home with severe burns on his arms and face. The victim was rushed to the hospital and was last noted to be in stable condition. The victim’s wife and four children were also in the home at the time of the explosion but were not injured.

The Carrollton fire chief reported that the blast was caused by gas leaking into a sewage line that built up in the home’s bathroom. According to the Carrollton Fire Department, there were no reports of the smell of gas or a gas leak before the explosion. As a precautionary measure, six nearby homes were evacuated. Since then, investigators say that natural gas detectors were deployed and concluded that the gas leak was isolated to the house that exploded and the leak did not involve a larger feeder gas line.

The victim and his family filed a lawsuit against Atmos Energy, accusing the company of gross negligence and failing to properly monitor for gas leaks. Atmos Energy is also facing numerous other lawsuits involving an explosion at the Sandman Signature Fort Worth Downtown Hotel that occurred less than two weeks before this incident, which left twenty-one people injured.

For over 70 years, Abraham Watkins has successfully represented injured people and families who fall victim to catastrophes. Our attorneys have the knowledge, experience and resources necessary to obtain just compensation for our clients. If you or someone you know has been injured or killed as the result of a gas leak and explosion, it is important to understand your right to recover. Call us today at 713-222-7211 or 1-800-870-9584 for your free consultation.