No one wants to think about the possibility of being involved in a major car accident. However, it can be helpful to be aware of what steps should be taken after an accident.
These tips can help protect an accident victim from a personal and legal perspective:
- Move to a safe location: Depending on where the accident occurred, you may still be in danger. Take a look at your surroundings and move to a safe location, if necessary.
- Call 911: Call the police as soon as possible.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you don’t think you have suffered injuries, it is important to seek medical attention. Don’t refuse treatment. This is an important step if you end up pursuing legal action.
- Gather contact information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s). Also, gather the contact information of any accident witnesses.
- Take photos: Take photos of the accident scene. It is better to take too many photos than not enough. Accident scene photos could end up being important pieces of evidence in your case.
- Contact an attorney: If you or one of your passengers has been injured, contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Ideally, this would be done before contacting your insurance company.
- Contact your insurance company: Notify your insurance company of the accident. Do not admit fault and only give necessary information. Anything you say to your adjustor can be used against you in your case. An investigation will help determine the cause of your accident.
Tip: Print off this page and keep a copy in your car.
Free consultation: You don’t have to face this process alone. Contact our law office to schedule a no-cost consultation with one of our injury attorneys: Call (713) 222-7211 or 800-594-4884.