(Houston, Texas) – Houston attorney Benny Agosto, Jr. of Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner received the 2015 Outstanding Public Service Award at the South Texas College of Law Houston (STCL) Alumni Association Annual Meeting and Luncheon on October 30, 2015. It took place at the Petroleum Club in Houston.
This award is presented annually to an STCL alum for outstanding work in a public service position. In the 20 years since receiving his J.D. degree, Mr. Agosto has provided outstanding service to the legal profession and to the community at large. He has also contributed to the South Texas College of Law Houston in a variety of ways that include:
- Contributing to the Benny and Nikki Agosto Children’s Waiting Room at the Randall O. Sorrels Legal Clinics
- Establishing the Bernardino and Marina Agosto scholarships that are given annually to Hispanic students at STCL
- Organizing an annual scholarship to STCL through the Mexican-American Bar Association of Texas Foundation
- Serving on the STCL Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Delivering the commencement address to the 2013 STCL graduating class
- Establishing the STCL Hispanic Law and Policy Journal, the first volume of which will be issued in 2016
- Speaking regularly at STCL programs
In addition, Mr. Agosto was named to the STCL 1923 Society based in part on his financial contribution to the law school.
Mr. Agosto has a long record of service to the Hispanic community. He served as President of the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA) and as President of the Legal Education Fund of the HNBA. The Legal Education Fund is a not-for-profit organization that promotes programs to help underrepresented students and legal professionals learn about opportunities in the legal profession. The fund provides scholarships, community outreach programs, a high school law camp, and publishes a journal, the HNBA Journal of Law and Policy. Additionally, he was the co-founder founder and is the past president of the Mexican American Bar Association of Texas (MABATx) Foundation.
Please join the lawyers and staff of Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner in congratulating Benny Agosto, Jr. on this well-deserved award. As a law firm partner, Mr. Agosto handles a wide range of personal injury cases, fighting for the rights of those who have been injured because of others’ negligence or misconduct. Since 1951, Abraham Watkins has helped clients throughout Texas and beyond in cases involving serious personal injuries and business litigation disputes. As the oldest personal injury law firm in Texas, Abraham Watkins is known for exceptional legal services that help clients during challenging times in their lives. For more information about Mr. Agosto and the law firm, please call the firm at (713) 222-7211 or contact us online.