On April 20, 88-year-old Dwain Spruiell and his wife, Cathy, were hosting out of town relatives when their home suddenly and unexpectedly exploded. The force of the blast leveled their home and shattered the windows at a nearby church. The Navarro County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the explosion, but the home's propane system is suspected to be the root cause.
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016, seven people were killed following a fatal explosion and fire at the Flower Branch Apartments in Silver Springs, Maryland. The incident left an additional twenty-five individuals injured and as many as 150 displaced. Even worse, of the seven people who died, two were children.
The Texas Railroad Commission issued a report last week after investigating a June explosion at the Elgin, Texas home of Marcus and Victoria Newman, which destroyed the Newmans' home and severely burned their 17-year-old son, Marcus. The RRC, which includes home propane distribution as part of its energy regulation portfolio, found several safety violations, including a failure by the company that serviced the Newmans' propane tank to conduct a required inspection.
Early Tuesday morning, two adult males and one adult female were injured when their home exploded in Willis in Montgomery County. The incident occurred at about 5 a.m. at a three-bedroom, wood frame home on Mandy Lane near Rogers in the Willis area. The three adults were rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital by LifeFlight helicopter service. According to Memorial Hermann, one patient was in critical condition, one patient was in serious condition, and the third was in fair condition. Based on the photographs posted online by the local news stations, it is a miracle that anyone survived the explosion.
As many as 26 workers were on duty when a Blue Rhino propane tank plant erupted into a series of explosions last night. Seven were taken to local hospitals for evaluation and treatment following the Central Florida gas blast; one person was in critical condition. All workers have been accounted for following the explosions.
A sailor reported smelling gas early yesterday morning, prompting the evacuation of Naval Air Station-Corpus Christi. Gas tanks located just outside the walls of the base were discovered to have a leak caused by blown valves. Corpus Christi firefighters and workers from the Gas Division responded to the leak; an all-clear was sounded by 11.
The sister of a Dobbin family injured in a home explosion pointed to a leaky propane tank as the source of the tragic early morning blast. According to her, the family's propane tank was just refilled, but a leak allowed the gas to escape, creating the conditions that lead to the home explosion.