Michael Brassloff was 71 years old when he underwent surgery to remove a benign tumor at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. During the procedure, the two-millimeter tip of a carbon dioxide-cooled laser probe snapped off after it was inserted through a hole in Mr. Brassloff's skull. As a result, the pressurized carbon dioxide drilled directly into Mr. Brassloff's brain. The force was eight times more powerful than that of a nail gun.
Posts tagged "product liability lawsuit"
Ikea is recalling its dangerous dressers, again. This time it is a three-drawer Kullen dresser that puts small children in danger of being crushed due to the dresser's high risk for tip over. There are at least 9 known cases where a child was fatally injured after one of these dressers tipped over. Dozens of children have been injured as well.
In early 2020, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia will decide whether Amazon is responsible for injuries caused by a defective dog collar sold by a third-party merchant which left a woman legally blind in one eye. In January 2015, Heather Oberdorf was walking her dog when the dog unexpectedly lunged, causing the D-ring on the dog's collar to break and the leash to recoil back. The leash hit Oberdorf in her face leaving her permanently blind in her left eye. Oberdorf purchased the dog collar on Amazon.com. Following the incident, both Oberdorf's attorneys and Amazon's private investigator made several unsuccessful attempts to locate the owner of the Nevada based company that sold the collar. Oberdorf then sued Amazon for strict products liability and negligence. Amazon defended on the basis that they are a services provider and not responsible for defects in products that third parties sell on their site.
E-cigarette retailer, Juul, was recently sued by an ex-senior vice president for retaliation because he raised concern over Juul's decision to sell contaminated pods to the public, according to the lawsuit.
On the morning of January 2, 2019, Amanda Butler awoke to discover her newborn baby girl Arya lying dead in her inclined sleeper bed. Only hours earlier, Mrs. Butler had put Arya to sleep in their "Rock n' Play Sleeper" right next to their own bed. By the morning, Mrs. Butler woke up to find her 11-month-old's body limp in the sleeper, head tilted forward, and skin turned blue.
Fisher Price, the company well known for making toys and other products targeted toward babies and small children, recently recalled its Rock 'n Play baby sleeper.
A Philadelphia jury sent a strong message to Johnson & Johnson regarding the company's marketing of its prescription drug Risperdal. A Maryland man filed a lawsuit alleging that the company failed to properly acknowledge known risks that the prescription medication could lead to breast growth in boys.
According to the New Jersey State Police, a 10-year-old girl was ejected from a ride called "Extreme" at 6:18 p.m. on October 12, 2019. She suffered serious injuries and was airlifted to Cooper University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 7:20 p.m.
A California jury awarded $40 million to a woman suffering from mesothelioma. The lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson alleged that the popular baby powder caused her mesothelioma diagnosis in 2017.
The evidence is growing on the dangers of vaping. The New York Times has just reported a second death of a person has occurred due to severe lung illness that developed after vaping. This death occurred in Oregon and the investigation revealed the individual who died apparently became sick after vaping T.H.C. [tetrahydrocannabinol] from a product purchased at a recreational marijuana shop in the state. The lead investigator, Dr. Ann Thomas, "said that the doctor who treated the patient recognized several weeks later that the patient's lung infection was consistent with a syndrome thought to be connected to vaping that has affected more than 200 people around the country this summer, according to federal health officials."