In 2016, Cody Hamblin, then 22-years-old, died while fishing on Memorial Day with his grandfather. According to a lawsuit filed by his father, Darren Hamblin, he had a seizure while on a boat, fell into the water and died. Mr. Hamblin sued Riddell Sports Group and the parent company of Schutt Sports as defendants. He has alleged negligence, product liability, negligent misrepresentation, fraud, and wrongful death.
In early February 2018, the driver of a defective dump truck lost control at a high speed and crashed into Barbara Schmidt's vehicle, leaving her with severe injuries. The truck was carrying debris from the recent California fires down a steep hill when the truck's brakes failed, causing the truck to pick up speed until a fiery collision that injured seven victims in total, including three critically.
The term "submarining" refers to a dangerous phenomenon that occurs during a car crash that is caused by the design of the car's seatbelt system. The seatbelt system in your car is one of the most important features that can protect you from death or serious injury in a car crash. However, if designed improperly, a seatbelt system can be the cause of your injury.
Eleven years after the iPhone was introduced, fifty people were evacuated from an Apple Store. Of those, seven required medical attention, including a store employee. It occurred in Zurich after an iPhone battery overheated and emitted smoke. Store employees put quartz sand over the battery to suppress the smoke, and they ventilated the store.
Fiat Chrysler is recalling nearly 50,000 Chrysler Pacifica eight-passenger minivans from the United States and Canada for malfunctioning seatbelts. During driving, engineers discovered that rapid side-to-side motions, similar to those made in sudden lane changes, could cause the center belt buckle to unlatch and consequently release the passenger.
A seriously injured South Carolina couple is suing Amazon under negligence, negligent misrepresentation, negligent failure to warn, the South Carolina Unfair Trade Practices Act, Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, breach of warranty, and unjust enrichment, seeking monetary relief of more than $75,000. Amazon sold "Eclipse Glasses" to the public so that they may view the total solar eclipse that occurred last August. According to the lawsuit, the couple alleges that the eclipse glasses were extremely defective and dangerous, and that their use resulted in vision damage and other physical injuries.
Tristar Products Inc. and plaintiffs Ninfa and Jose Vasquez have reached a settlement in a products liability lawsuit filed in Brownsville, Texas. The lawsuit alleges that the plaintiffs were severely burned after a pressure cooker purchased from Tristar exploded on August 2, 2014. The plaintiffs allege they were using the pressure cooker for the first time to prepare pinto beans for a family dinner-following all instructions provided with the device-when the device suddenly exploded without warning. The explosion allegedly occurred after the device had been unplugged for two hours. Mrs. Vasquez was allegedly severely burned by the scalding hot contents and steam. The plaintiffs allege that Tristar failed to use reasonable care in designing and manufacturing the device and failed to adequately warn consumers of the device's dangers, among other allegations.
If you have received medical treatment after being in a car wreck or being injured in another type of accident, you may have received a letter from your health insurance company asking you questions about the accident or claiming a "subrogation" interest. Or you may have received a letter from the hospital giving you notice that a "hospital lien" has been filed. Or you might have received a letter from the Center for Medicare Services talking about the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and something called "conditional payments."
A seriously injured Dallas couple is suing for negligence, malice, intentional acts, and fraud, seeking monetary relief of more than $1 million from John Eagle Collision Center and John Eagle Imports. According to the lawsuit, the couple alleges that the certified collision repair shop conducted unsafe repairs to their Honda and never disclosed those repairs prior to the sale.
On February 18, 2017, Aiden, then ten-years-old, was visiting his friend at 5500 Shoal Creek Boulevard. He slid into a gap between the home's security gate and a stone wall. His finger triggered the gate, which opened and crushed him between the gate and wall. Ultimately, Aiden was choked until he was brain dead. He was transported to the hospital, where he died five days later. The autopsy report detailed the cause of death as asphyxiation. Aiden's parents, Jennifer Rodriguez and Manual Criado, have filed suit against several parties, including the gate's manufacturer and the homeowner. They are claiming over $1M in damages.