Shirell Powell was told her brother, Frederick Williams, had suffered brain damage after he overdosed. She then made the difficult decision to allow doctors to end life support for her brother. However, the staff at St. Barnabas Hospital had confused the man for Mr. Williams, which resulted in a stranger being taken off life support.
According to federal officials, Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital, a DeSoto psychiatric hospital, will lose Medicare funding for putting its patients in "immediate jeopardy" of harm. The decision was made based on inspection reports which detailed allegations such as a staff member who did not know how to deal with potential sexual predators, patients being left untreated for hours, and a 12-year-old boy who was injected with an anti-psychotic drug for "agitation" even though video footage showed he was watching cartoons.
Staff Sergeant Aaron Merritt died in October 2014, which was nine months after he was honorably discharged and less than ten months after he was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at the Nashville VA. Carol and Steven Merritt, Aaron's parents, sued the VA in 2016 and claimed negligence after VA physicians failed to monitor Aaron's reaction to medications that were prescribed to him.
A woman in Canada gave birth in March and didn't seem to face any complications. She returned to the hospital the day after bringing her baby home and complained of stomach pains. She was told by her doctors that her stomach ache was a result of constipation, and she was sent home. The next day, she was rushed into emergency surgery due to a dangerous flesh-eating disease. She was then diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, which is an infection that results in the death of the body's soft tissue. Necrotizing fasciitis is a severe disease of sudden onset that spreads very quickly and usually enters the body through a break in the skin, such as a cut or burn. Unfortunately, the woman has had to go through multiple surgeries and has had her legs and arms amputated to prevent the spread of the infection. The woman remains mostly bedridden at the hospital several months later. She is now suing the hospital and the negligent doctors for not properly assessing her and for misdiagnosing her. She believes that if they had done their jobs properly when she first came in with symptoms, most of the damages could have been prevented and her limbs may have been spared from amputation.
A Pennsylvania federal judge recently ruled that the federal government pay $41.6 million to a couple after determining that a doctor at a federally funded health clinic negligently used forceps to deliver the couple's baby, causing permanent brain damage. The judge held that the doctor's premature and multiple uses of forceps in attempting to deliver the baby caused the newborn permanent physical and intellectual disabilities.
A patient in the Washington, D.C., suburb of Reston, Virginia, was just awarded $500,000 by a civil jury after a trial in which it heard evidence of the patient's doctors mocking him during a colonoscopy. The male patient had recorded the doctor's post-operative instructions on his cell phone as he was being prepped for the surgery. Listening to the recording on the drive home, however, he discovered that he had forgotten to stop the recording and had inadvertently captured the entire procedure-including a series of disparaging remarks the doctors made at his expense while he was under anesthesia.
The family of Kristy Stingley filed a lawsuit against Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital, an ER doctor, and a neurologist for medical malpractice. The plaintiffs allege that the hospital committed gross negligence after misdiagnosing Kristy Stingley's brain aneurysm. As a result of the misdiagnosis and subsequent discharge, Kristy passed away leaving a husband and two young children.