A federal jury in Miami awarded the family of a passenger who died on an Alaskan cruise $3.38 million. The Wisconsin man, Richard Puchalski, was with his family on the cruise ship in 2016 to celebrate his 70th birthday. While on the cruise, Puchalski began to experience shortness of breath and sought medical treatment from the ship's doctor. Puchalski was treated and later sent back to his cabin where he had a heart attack and collapsed. The complaint alleges that the ship's medical staff made serious errors in Puchalski's treatment that turned a serious cardiac incident into a fatal heart attack.
A bar patron was injured on June 22, 2018 after a large light fixture fell from the ceiling while he visited a Houston bar.
The Deer Park chemical facility that caught fire last week has a long history of state and federal environmental violations. According to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Intercontinental Terminals Company (ITC) has been fined for multiple infractions that could have been avoided. In 2008, ITC was fined when a relief valve failed causing 6,745 pounds of unauthorized butadiene to be released into the atmosphere due to the facility's failure to prevent an increase in pressure. The Commission said the event was "avoidable by better operational practices." Butadiene is a carcinogen to humans and is used to make plastics.
A West Virginia jury awarded nearly $17 million to a woman who was injured when Walmart employees attempted to detain a shoplifter. The plaintiff, a 53-year-old woman, says employees tried to detain a shoplifter when the shoplifter ran into her shopping cart. The impact caused the woman to fall to the ground with the cart falling on top of her.
Just before 11 A.M. on March 17th, 2019 a chemical plant fire occurred at the Intercontinental Terminals Company LLC, also known as "ITC", which is located near Highway 225 and Independence Parkway in Deer Park, Texas. The blaze continued to burn all day Sunday and has continued into Monday. Emergency crews have continuously worked around the clock to keep the fires contained. Unfortunately, additional tanks subsequently caught fire overnight. Nearby schools were closed for the day as a precaution.
A quick Google search on MetroRail incidents shows how people are regularly getting injured or killed by MetroRail trains in the metropolitan area of Houston, Texas. As the rail expands through the North, East, and South parts of Houston, one can find incidents on each one of the lines on which the trains operate.
A customer was injured on January 19, 2019 while shopping at a local home goods store when an office chair collapsed as she seated herself to test the chair.
Duke University's star freshman basketball player, Zion Williamson, suffered a knee injury during a game between Duke and North Carolina. The injury seemed to occur when his Nike shoe appeared to tear as he planted his foot. Williamson, thought by many to be a top NBA draft pick, left the game and did not return. This begs the question: if Williamson suffered a career ending injury, could Williamson sue Nike?
The widow of a Union Pacific Railroad engineer who died in a train collision last October filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the company after an apparent mechanical brake malfunction. On the day of the incident, engineer Jason Martinez's train was heading east to North Platte, Nebraska, when the train's crew realized the brakes were malfunctioning. The crew alerted Union Pacific Railroad dispatch center and informed them that the train had accelerated to 50 mph and was unable to stop. The train ultimately collided with another train that was stopped on the tracks about 18 miles west of Cheyenne, Wyoming. No one was in the stopped train at the time of collision.
A man in Santa Fe, New Mexico has filed a lawsuit against Pacifica Senior Living for the death of his father, Julian Gaul. In February 2017, the staff found the 83-year-old man lying on the floor between his wheelchair and bed, and transported him to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center. The man's son, Fred Gaul, was told by a doctor that blood had been collecting in his father's brain for some time, likely from an earlier fall. Less than 24 hours later, Gaul was found on the floor again and was taken to the hospital and treated for a broken nose and wide gash across his forehead that required six stitches. Sores were discovered in his groin region along with fungus growing on his genitalia from not being cleaned for months. Gaul died three days later.