1,182 patients at an Indiana hospital may have been exposed to HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C allegedly due to sanitation errors committed by the surgical technicians. Between April and September of this year, at least one of the surgical technicians at Goshen Hospital missed a sterilization step while sanitizing surgical equipment. While the surgical equipment did go through other sanitization and sterilization procedures, the step missed by at least one of the surgical technicians shows that not every surgical instrument was properly fit for use on patients. Because of this, Goshen Hospital representatives are now offering free testing to the potential patients who could have been exposed to these unsanitized surgical instruments and potential infectious diseases.
Abel Cepeda, then 5-days-old, was the eighth baby since the summer to get sick after being exposed to bacteria in Geisinger Medical Center's NICU. Two infants had died prior to Abel's birth. Geisinger has announced that the hospital's equipment contaminated donor breast milk, which exposed premature infants to pseudomonas, a bacterium. The day Abel died, the hospital changed its equipment to single-use materials. Abel's parents have filed suit.
Seattle Children's Hospital shut down all fourteen of its operating rooms earlier this year after Aspergillus mold spores infected six children in its operating rooms, leaving one dead. The hospital re-opened its operating rooms in July, telling the public it was confident the operating rooms were sterile and that the risk to patients was incredibly low. Last week, however, the hospital was once again forced to shut down three of its operating rooms and two procedural areas following new detections of Aspergillus and as the hospital investigates the possibility of two new infections.
Results of a recent survey raises safety concerns regarding same-day surgery centers. One-third of doctors at these types of medical facilities are found to not be board-certified according to the Leapfrog Group survey. The number includes anesthesiologists, surgeons, and other similar specialized providers at these facilities.
A New York jury awarded $55.9 million to a woman and her spouse in a lawsuit that alleged a spinal surgery left her paralyzed.
On December 8, 2018, a 23-year-old leukemia patient died, two days after receiving a transfusion tainted with a bacterial infection at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas due to the uncovering of systematic safety lapses. The patient had a history of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and her complications included viral-induced bladder inflammation and the placement of a tube that allows direct drainage from the kidney, so she needed daily blood transfusions. Unfortunately, it was unbeknownst to the medical staff that the infusion the patient received one day was contaminated with a harmful human pathogen called Serratia Marcescens, which is rarely found in blood transfusions.
Several patients have filed suit against Porter Adventist Hospital and claimed that they went in for surgery, but left with infections. The suit states, "This lawsuit is premised upon allegations of corporate negligence by Defendant Porter and its leadership and staff, resulting in systemic and ongoing infection control breaches at Porter Adventist Hospital from mid-2015 through late 2018."
Kyle Evans, an HIV positive registered nurse in Texas, has been charged with two felonies for tampering with a consumer product and drug conversion. The charges stem from an incident in February 2019 when Evans was caught stealing five vials of hydromorphone, a pain reliever, from his employer Northeast Methodist Hospital. The Department of Health was notified and an investigation launched immediately. During the investigation, a video was found that also showed Evans stealing the drugs.
A North Texas physician was recently sentenced to twenty years in prison in connection with the death of seven patients from 2012 to 2017. Pain management doctor, Howard Gregg Diamond, is the former principal physician at the Diamondback Pain & Wellness Center in Sherman, Texas. In July 2017, Diamond was indicted by a federal grand jury after authorities found evidence that Diamond had written countless prescriptions for addictive opioid medications without a legitimate medical purpose since 2010. In July 2014, Diamond distributed or dispensed morphine, oxycodone, alprazolam, and zolpidem to a patient that resulted in the patient's death just ten days after the medications were prescribed. Law enforcement authorities also linked six other overdose related deaths to prescriptions written by Diamond between 2010 and 2017. The overdose deaths occurred in several cities in both Texas and Oklahoma.