On December 8, 2018, a 23-year-old leukemia patient died, two days after receiving a transfusion tainted with a bacterial infection at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas due to the uncovering of systematic safety lapses. The patient had a history of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and her complications included viral-induced bladder inflammation and the placement of a tube that allows direct drainage from the kidney, so she needed daily blood transfusions. Unfortunately, it was unbeknownst to the medical staff that the infusion the patient received one day was contaminated with a harmful human pathogen called Serratia Marcescens, which is rarely found in blood transfusions.
Several patients have filed suit against Porter Adventist Hospital and claimed that they went in for surgery, but left with infections. The suit states, "This lawsuit is premised upon allegations of corporate negligence by Defendant Porter and its leadership and staff, resulting in systemic and ongoing infection control breaches at Porter Adventist Hospital from mid-2015 through late 2018."
Kyle Evans, an HIV positive registered nurse in Texas, has been charged with two felonies for tampering with a consumer product and drug conversion. The charges stem from an incident in February 2019 when Evans was caught stealing five vials of hydromorphone, a pain reliever, from his employer Northeast Methodist Hospital. The Department of Health was notified and an investigation launched immediately. During the investigation, a video was found that also showed Evans stealing the drugs.
Biologics, a short term for biological medication, are typically prescribed to nurse autoimmune skin diseases, joints, and gastrointestinal system. They are one of the few drugs that are not made chemically, but instead are extracted from animal cells in laboratories. They are also given by either injection or IV. These drugs can cost up to more than $40,000 a year and are very established in the market. However, these biologic drugs tend to cause many severe issues to consumer's health, maybe more serious than prior to taking the drug. A list of common biologics are Remicade, Humira, Enbrel, Siliq, and Cimzia.
On June 20, 2016, George Walker, then 75 years old, called the VA's American Lake Division and complained of shortness of breath and chest pain. Mr. Walker was directed to go to the American Lake Urgent Care. Mr. Walker went as instructed the following day. The staff at American Lake Urgent Care had him transported by ambulance to the VA's Seattle Division. He was diagnosed with aortic stenosis, which is a hereditary narrowing of the aortic valve; he needed a replacement. The VA scheduled his surgery for July 5, 2016, and sent him home. On July 1, Mr. Walker died at home. His widow, Peggy Walker, sued.
According to federal officials, Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital, a DeSoto psychiatric hospital, will lose Medicare funding for putting its patients in "immediate jeopardy" of harm. The decision was made based on inspection reports which detailed allegations such as a staff member who did not know how to deal with potential sexual predators, patients being left untreated for hours, and a 12-year-old boy who was injected with an anti-psychotic drug for "agitation" even though video footage showed he was watching cartoons.
A lawsuit filed by an organ transplant recipient alleges that a Randall's pharmacy misfilled her prescription for several months before it was discovered, which reportedly caused "significant disruption both physically and mentally." The lawsuit, which was filed on October 29 in the Harris County 234th District Court, does not specifically mention what type of transplant Plaintiff Vicki Gaido received, but the original petition notes that she was prescribed the drug Synthroid (levothyroxine) to treat a thyroid condition that arose from the transplant and subsequent treatments.
The families of Martin Maurer, Linda Paponetti, and Georgia Guzzi-Ozebek have filed suit against two family practice physicians at The Cleveland Clinic and alleged the doctors over-prescribed painkillers that led to accidental overdose and death.
An Ohio jury awarded a boy and his family $44.5 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit against an Ohio laboratory. The child's parents brought a lawsuit against Athens Medical Laboratory Inc. alleging that a misdiagnosed and improper treatment of an ear infection in turn resulted in a brain infection and ultimately paralysis of a 9 year old boy.