A woman representing the estate of her veteran husband filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the United States after her husband died from treatment at the Dorn VA Medical Center in Columbia, South Carolina. Ralph Keogh, who had previously been treated for acute myelogenous leukemia, went to the VA hospital on January 22, 2017 for nausea and vomiting. The lawsuit alleges that the Dorm VA medical staff administered multiple doses of a medication called Pegfilgrastim, instead of the medication that was actually prescribed to him with a similar name-Filgrastim.
According to federal officials, Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital, a DeSoto psychiatric hospital, will lose Medicare funding for putting its patients in "immediate jeopardy" of harm. The decision was made based on inspection reports which detailed allegations such as a staff member who did not know how to deal with potential sexual predators, patients being left untreated for hours, and a 12-year-old boy who was injected with an anti-psychotic drug for "agitation" even though video footage showed he was watching cartoons.
A lawsuit filed by an organ transplant recipient alleges that a Randall's pharmacy misfilled her prescription for several months before it was discovered, which reportedly caused "significant disruption both physically and mentally." The lawsuit, which was filed on October 29 in the Harris County 234th District Court, does not specifically mention what type of transplant Plaintiff Vicki Gaido received, but the original petition notes that she was prescribed the drug Synthroid (levothyroxine) to treat a thyroid condition that arose from the transplant and subsequent treatments.
In 2003, Texas voters narrowly approved a constitutional amendment to allow the Legislature to impose sweeping changes to the medical malpractice law in Texas. The stated purpose was to alleviate a medical malpractice insurance crisis.
The families of Martin Maurer, Linda Paponetti, and Georgia Guzzi-Ozebek have filed suit against two family practice physicians at The Cleveland Clinic and alleged the doctors over-prescribed painkillers that led to accidental overdose and death.
Staff Sergeant Aaron Merritt died in October 2014, which was nine months after he was honorably discharged and less than ten months after he was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at the Nashville VA. Carol and Steven Merritt, Aaron's parents, sued the VA in 2016 and claimed negligence after VA physicians failed to monitor Aaron's reaction to medications that were prescribed to him.
A visitor of a nursing home posted a photo on Facebook of an elderly woman alleging that she had been sitting in her own vomit for hours. The person who posted the photo stated that when he arrived to visit his uncle around 7:30 p.m., he noticed the woman sitting in her wheelchair in the hallway, asking for help. Around 9:30 p.m., the man alleges that the elderly woman was in the exact same place, still sitting in her own vomit. The man also stated he asked if someone would assist her and was told by nursing home employees they would do so "when they have time." Following the exchange with nursing home staff, he took a photo of the elderly woman and posted it to Facebook.
An Ohio jury awarded a boy and his family $44.5 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit against an Ohio laboratory. The child's parents brought a lawsuit against Athens Medical Laboratory Inc. alleging that a misdiagnosed and improper treatment of an ear infection in turn resulted in a brain infection and ultimately paralysis of a 9 year old boy.
A botched knockoff of the drug Tri-Moxi (which is often injected into a patient's eye during cataract surgery) has caused at least 68 people in the Dallas area to suffer partial blindness or worse within days or weeks of being injected in the eye during routine cataract surgery. The original inventors of Tri-Moxi, Imprimis, have maintained that the original formula is safe. The alleged purpose of Tri-Moxi is to prevent swelling, infection, and dryness of the operated eye.
In late July, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned consumers that several pharmaceutical companies have initiated recalls of the popular blood pressure drug valsartan after discovering that the medication is contaminated with a potentially carcinogenic chemical.