A New York jury awarded $55.9 million to a woman and her spouse in a lawsuit that alleged a spinal surgery left her paralyzed.
On December 8, 2018, a 23-year-old leukemia patient died, two days after receiving a transfusion tainted with a bacterial infection at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas due to the uncovering of systematic safety lapses. The patient had a history of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and her complications included viral-induced bladder inflammation and the placement of a tube that allows direct drainage from the kidney, so she needed daily blood transfusions. Unfortunately, it was unbeknownst to the medical staff that the infusion the patient received one day was contaminated with a harmful human pathogen called Serratia Marcescens, which is rarely found in blood transfusions.
On June 14, 2019, the Kansas Supreme Court struck down Kansas' cap on damages for noneconomic damages in personal injury lawsuits on the basis that the cap was unconstitutional. In Kansans, the legislature imposed a limit on the amount noneconomic money damages a jury can award a plaintiff in personal injury cases. Kansas' overturning this cap is hopefully just the first domino toppling over, and soon to be followed by other states seeking to return power to the hands of the people.
Several patients have filed suit against Porter Adventist Hospital and claimed that they went in for surgery, but left with infections. The suit states, "This lawsuit is premised upon allegations of corporate negligence by Defendant Porter and its leadership and staff, resulting in systemic and ongoing infection control breaches at Porter Adventist Hospital from mid-2015 through late 2018."
The Kansas Supreme Court has held that the state's law regarding caps on certain damages for injuries in personal injury lawsuits is unconstitutional. Specifically, the court determined that caps on noneconomic damages should be removed. A majority of the justices ruled that the limits set by the Kansas legislature on nonecominc damages violate the Kansas constitutional right to a jury trial.
Kyle Evans, an HIV positive registered nurse in Texas, has been charged with two felonies for tampering with a consumer product and drug conversion. The charges stem from an incident in February 2019 when Evans was caught stealing five vials of hydromorphone, a pain reliever, from his employer Northeast Methodist Hospital. The Department of Health was notified and an investigation launched immediately. During the investigation, a video was found that also showed Evans stealing the drugs.
Biologics, a short term for biological medication, are typically prescribed to nurse autoimmune skin diseases, joints, and gastrointestinal system. They are one of the few drugs that are not made chemically, but instead are extracted from animal cells in laboratories. They are also given by either injection or IV. These drugs can cost up to more than $40,000 a year and are very established in the market. However, these biologic drugs tend to cause many severe issues to consumer's health, maybe more serious than prior to taking the drug. A list of common biologics are Remicade, Humira, Enbrel, Siliq, and Cimzia.
A North Texas physician was recently sentenced to twenty years in prison in connection with the death of seven patients from 2012 to 2017. Pain management doctor, Howard Gregg Diamond, is the former principal physician at the Diamondback Pain & Wellness Center in Sherman, Texas. In July 2017, Diamond was indicted by a federal grand jury after authorities found evidence that Diamond had written countless prescriptions for addictive opioid medications without a legitimate medical purpose since 2010. In July 2014, Diamond distributed or dispensed morphine, oxycodone, alprazolam, and zolpidem to a patient that resulted in the patient's death just ten days after the medications were prescribed. Law enforcement authorities also linked six other overdose related deaths to prescriptions written by Diamond between 2010 and 2017. The overdose deaths occurred in several cities in both Texas and Oklahoma.
On June 20, 2016, George Walker, then 75 years old, called the VA's American Lake Division and complained of shortness of breath and chest pain. Mr. Walker was directed to go to the American Lake Urgent Care. Mr. Walker went as instructed the following day. The staff at American Lake Urgent Care had him transported by ambulance to the VA's Seattle Division. He was diagnosed with aortic stenosis, which is a hereditary narrowing of the aortic valve; he needed a replacement. The VA scheduled his surgery for July 5, 2016, and sent him home. On July 1, Mr. Walker died at home. His widow, Peggy Walker, sued.