On July 3, 2019, Juanita Edwards, then 84-years-old, went outside to get her newspaper. After she went back inside her home, it exploded. Natural gas that had been seeping out of a defective line and into the ground beneath her home had found an ignition source. According to the wrongful death lawsuit filed against New Mexico Gas Co., "Decedent's home erupted in an explosion while she was inside."
Posts tagged "home explosion"
Austin resident, David Passman, is suing propane provider, Texas Gas, following a residential gas explosion that occurred on October 27, 2018. The explosion completely destroyed Passman's home and took the life of his longtime girlfriend, Nicole Burton. Just prior to the explosion, Burton turned on the home's oven to make a pizza, which caused a large amount gas that had accumulated throughout the home to ignite. A neighbor managed to drag Burton from the burning home, but she soon succumbed to her injuries. Passman woke up in a local hospital nine days later after sustaining a severe concussion and burns over his body. Since the explosion he has undergone nine surgeries and is expected to undergo more as he continues the slow journey to recovery.
On October 27, 2018, a gas explosion occurred in David Passman's home in Austin, Texas. His longtime girlfriend, Nicole Burton, died. Mr. Passman has spent the last year in and out of the hospital; he's had nine surgeries to date and faces many more. Mr. Passman and the estate of Ms. Burton have filed suit against Texas Gas Service.
On June 6, 2019, a natural gas line exploded in Santa Fe, Texas. The explosion, which occurred in the middle of a densely populated residential area, sent a wall of fire several feet high into the air.
Russell McElyea is suing Atmos Energy Corporation after being severely burned when his friend's home exploded due to a gas leak. On May 14, 2017, Mr. McElyea was visiting his friend Raul Pedroza at his home in Stephenville, Texas. Mr. Pedroza was preparing lunch when he lit his stove, causing the house to explode in a gaseous fireball. McElyea managed to grab Pedroza and drag him out the front door just before an additional explosion occurred in the home. McElyea suffered burns to his face and arms and even went into a coma shortly after the incident. Pedroza sustained serious burns to more than 70 percent of his body, eventually succumbing to his wounds. According to the lawsuit, Atmos failed to properly warn Pedroza and himself of the dangers associated with gas leaks.
Delaney Tercero, 3, was killed in August of 2018 when a nearby pipeline leaked natural gas into her family's house, resulting in an explosion that injured the entire family and destroyed their home. The state sent investigators to determine if the owners of the pipeline had violated any rules and to discover the cause of the leak. Investigators discovered that the pipeline's anti-corrosion coating had failed and the pipeline had been leaking for "an undetermined length of time." However, investigators found that Targa Resources Corp., the company that owns the pipeline, didn't violate any rules because there are no rules or regulations for this type of pipeline.
Richard Bouder, 54, was killed in July of 2017 by a gas explosion when he suffered fatal injuries due to flying debris. Bouder, an employee of UGI Utilities, was investigating a potential gas leak at a residence in Lancaster County Pennsylvania at the time of the explosion. Bounder was the utility worker dispatched to the home after reports of gas odor. The explosion leveled the home, killed Richard Bouder, and injured two others.
Earlier this month, more than 80 gas fires and explosions occurred in the Boston area, killing one person and injuring more than two dozen. A family that suffered serious injuries and lost their home in those explosions has filed a lawsuit against Columbia Gas.
One worker has died and three remain injured as a result of a recent tank battery explosion in Mead, Colorado. The explosion occurred after the workers completed upgrades to the tank battery. A tank battery is a group of connected tanks that receive produced crude oil from a well. The owner, Anadarko Petroleum Corp., stated that the Mead facility was not in service at the time of the blast.
On April 20, 88-year-old Dwain Spruiell and his wife, Cathy, were hosting out of town relatives when their home suddenly and unexpectedly exploded. The force of the blast leveled their home and shattered the windows at a nearby church. The Navarro County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the explosion, but the home's propane system is suspected to be the root cause.