In February of 2017, Timothy Piazza was a student at Penn State and a victim of fraternity hazing. Then 19 years old, Piazza was pledging to join Beta Theta Pi and required to attend a bid acceptance night at the fraternity's house. He consumed large amounts alcohol due to being forced to participate in drinking games and hazing activities.
Posts tagged "hazing"
In the last year, the hazing ritual of freshman pledges has sparked a national outcry. Greek organizations-who are largely self-governed-have faced criticism for turning a blind eye to the rampant binge drinking culture on campuses. Just last year, Texas State University in San Marcos, TX suspended all Greek-activities after a freshman pledge died from binge drinking during a fraternity's hazing incident. This time, the Alpha Sigma Phi chapter at the University of Arizona is the latest culprit.
Back in December we blogged about how Florida A&M University was being sued for their role in the hazing death of one of the traveling marching band members. Now the family of the deceased student has also filed suit against the charter bus company.
It is believed that a Florida A&M University (FAMU) student recently died after he was hazed by fellow students.
The Houston Chronicle reports that hazing continues to exist in at least one fraternity at the University of Texas. It is reported that the Texas Kappa Alpha fraternity was recently suspended for two years by its national parent organization for hazing its pledges. A lawsuit was recently filed by the national organization against this UT chapter that continues to represent itself as being affiliated with the national Kappa Alpha Order. The suit seeks to recover more than $200,000 in money and property from its former local chapter.
The University of Texas Dean of Students Office is now investigating two separate incidents of alcohol poisoning involving students.
At 3 a.m. Wednesday, just hours before the first day of classes were to begin at the University of Texas, a student living at the Hardin House, a private dormitory for women in West Campus, called campus police after discovering her roommate unconscious and foaming at the mouth in the shower. The young woman, who had been part of a pledging event for a sorority, was treated for alcohol poisoning.
Then, at 3:43 a.m., another student alerted campus police after finding her roommate passed out in the bathroom of their Almetris Duren Hall dormitory room on the UT campus. The second young woman had also been involved in pledging a sorority when she was treated for alcohol poisoning.