A 24-year-old Fort Worth man tragically died in a vape store parking lot this January after his vape pen exploded in his face. After the explosion, the man was taken by ambulance to the hospital where he later died.
In February 2016, Daniel Anderson was carrying a spare e-cigarette battery, his keys, and some coins in his left front pocket. When the metal items made contact, it caused a short to the outside of the battery. The resulting explosion caused chemical and thermal burns to Mr. Anderson's left leg and hands.
While electronic cigarettes are considered a healthy alternative for smokers, there are rising concerns that these devices may be dangerous. Electronic cigarettes, more commonly referred to as e-cigs, have continued to grow in popularity since entering the U.S. market in 2007. A major cause of the health concerns presented by e-cigarettes may not be what one would expect, however.