In February 2013, the three Zarsky children-ages 3, 5, and 7-were playing in their backyard when a CenterPoint Energy guy wire made contact with live components and electrocuted the two youngest children, as the oldest watched in disbelief. A year later, the Zarsky family and CenterPoint energy have agreed to a settlement.
Our firm represents an electrical worker who was injured on the job when a General Electric Spectra Series Busway, category number FNIAAAAZACDZZZZ, and product number 02618624 AP1, exploded and caught fire at a downtown Houston office building. As a result of an electrical fire caused by the busway our client was severely burned over much of his body and is still recovering from his injuries. In addition to our client, another individual was also burned in the same incident.
A jury determined that a lighter which "badly burned" a six-year-old child was defective in its design and construction. Three years ago, the Texas Supreme Court ruled that her claim based upon the improper design of the lighter was "preempted" by federal testing requirements, even though courts in other states did not find that the requirements preempted a citizen's common law rights.