A 24-year-old Fort Worth man tragically died in a vape store parking lot this January after his vape pen exploded in his face. After the explosion, the man was taken by ambulance to the hospital where he later died.
Electronic cigarettes (commonly referred to as e-cigarettes) were designed to offer a nicotine fix without the side effects of traditional tobacco cigarettes. However, a disturbing trend has emerged involving these popular devices. Many e-cigarettes use lithium batteries due to their ability to store large amounts of energy in a compact amount of space. However, the inherent characteristics of lithium batteries can cause these devices to become a mini bomb and spontaneously explode or catch fire in your hand or pocket.
In February 2016, Daniel Anderson was carrying a spare e-cigarette battery, his keys, and some coins in his left front pocket. When the metal items made contact, it caused a short to the outside of the battery. The resulting explosion caused chemical and thermal burns to Mr. Anderson's left leg and hands.