In February of 2017, Bradley Ireland, then 64 years-old, suffered severe injuries after his apartment caught fire. He died later that day. Julia Ireland Meo, Mr. Ireland's daughter, has sued Apple and alleged that the fire started due to a faulty battery pack in an iPad. According to the suit, "The fire was caused by a defect in the subject tablet, specifically affecting the tablet's battery pack." The fire started in Mr. Bradley's kitchen.
A California man has instituted a class action lawsuit against Apple for failing to implement an iPhone safety feature that would prevent people from texting while driving. The complaint was filed by Julio Ceja, a California resident who says that he was stopped at a traffic light when he was rear-ended by a distracted driver. Ceja claims that, immediately prior to the collision, he looked in his rearview mirror and saw the other driver using her phone instead of paying attention to the road in front of her.
A Texas family, who has been grieving the loss of their 5-year-old daughter, has filed a lawsuit against the technology company, Apple, in Santa Clara Superior Court, California. In their lawsuit, the family claims that Apple had the patent for a safer version of its "FaceTime" video calling application but chose to make a less safe version available with the iPhone 6. Ultimately and unfortunately, the family claims that the use of this FaceTime application led to death of their youngest daughter.