Earlier this year a professional basketball player living in Plano was injured when his cell phone exploded. The injured player, Khouraichi Thiam, is a 31-year-old Senegalese man who plays basketball overseas in countries like Saudi Arabia, Spain, Serbia, Bahrain, and Luxembourg. Mr. Thiam was riding in a friend's vehicle on May 15th of this year, when his LG K20 exploded in his right hand.
Johnson & Johnson, the manufacturer of popular talc baby powder has lost another case, this time in New York. Several lawsuits have been filed across the country alleging that Johnson & Johnson's talc-based baby powder causes certain cancers. Thus far, only a handful of cases have actually been tried to a jury.
While e-cigarettes are not considered as risky as regular cigarettes, researchers may have found a link between flavorings and a bad effect on the heart. In laboratory dishes, scientists grew cells that normally line the healthy human blood vessels. They then exposed cells to six different e-cigarette flavorings, testing if the flavors caused any effects. This method eliminated the possibility that nicotine caused any adverse effects. They also analyzed the effects of bathing those cells in blood taken from people right after they had an e-cigarette. Finally, they did a comparison of the cells' exposure to blood from nonsmokers and people who smoked a regular cigarette.
Monsanto, the manufacturer of popular weed killer Roundup has lost another case. Cancer patients across the country are suing Monsanto alleging that Roundup gave them cancer. Three cases have gone to trial and all three verdicts have been in favor of the plaintiffs.
When GM installed engine block heaters in some of their trucks, they did not foresee the potential increased fire hazards as a result of this intended convenience. The engine block heaters were designed to warm the engine to allow for easier starting in very cold weather. This is allowed by plugging the engine block heaters into an external power outlet. However, recent reports have shown that the cord and block heater may short circuit resulting in a potential fire.
A subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, Ethicon, was hit with a $120 million verdict by a Pennsylvania jury. The lawsuit arose from medical mesh device which was implanted in the plaintiff during a 2008 procedure. The plaintiff, a 68-year-old woman, argued that she suffered from chronic pelvic pain and urinary tract infections as a result of the mesh. She was required to undergo a surgery to remove the mesh. Despite efforts by doctors, the surgery to remove the mesh was unsuccessful, her attorneys stated.
A jury in Texas County, Texas returned a $33 million verdict against Goodyear Tire in late February, 2019 after a three-week trial. The trial surrounded the death of Ramiro Munoz, who was killed in an accident in 2013 when a cement truck allegedly lost its tread, causing its driver to lose control and collide with Mr. Munoz's vehicle and crush Mr. Munoz to death.
On April 12, 2019, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced that it was recalling all models of the Fisher-Price Rock 'n Play sleeper after reports that it was linked to over 30 infant deaths since the product was released in 2009. Customers are instructed to immediately stop using the product and contact Fisher-Price for a refund or voucher. The recall affects over four million products. The recall comes a week after the CPSC and Fisher-Price issued a joint warning in which they reported ten infant deaths in connection with the product. According to the joint statement, the deaths occurred after an infant three months of age or older rolled from their back to their stomach or side while the infant was unrestrained in the seat. At that time, the company recommended that consumers stop using the sleeper when an infant reached three months of age or as soon as the infant exhibited rollover capabilities.
Patricia Price has sued John Peter Smith Hospital and Thyssenkrupp Elevators and claimed she was injured while riding in an elevator in September 2017. Ms. Price was in the hospital's main building when she entered the elevator on the fourth floor. While in the elevator, she was "violently jolted by the abrupt falling then stopping of the elevator." Ms. Price was taken to the hospital's emergency room and complained of injuries to her neck and back. The suit claims that the hospital had received prior complaints of the elevator malfunctioning prior to the incident involving Ms. Price.
With elevators, we often take them for granted. You might consider the danger of the door closing too soon. You might stick your hand out to hold it open, or just stand back and wait for the next one. Yet once you are inside the elevator box, most of us forget about the other dangers. We forget that it could get stuck, or worse, that it could plummet to the bottom floor. There are about 325 million elevator rides every day, with each elevator carrying about 20,000 people per year. Most of those rides end safely. But for some unfortunate passengers, poor elevator maintenance or defective elevator design can cause catastrophic injuries by riding the wrong elevator at the wrong time. Worse still, the general public is rarely aware of elevator problems until after serious injuries occur.