Delaney Tercero, 3, was killed in August of 2018 when a nearby pipeline leaked natural gas into her family's house, resulting in an explosion that injured the entire family and destroyed their home. The state sent investigators to determine if the owners of the pipeline had violated any rules and to discover the cause of the leak. Investigators discovered that the pipeline's anti-corrosion coating had failed and the pipeline had been leaking for "an undetermined length of time." However, investigators found that Targa Resources Corp., the company that owns the pipeline, didn't violate any rules because there are no rules or regulations for this type of pipeline.
Richard Bouder, 54, was killed in July of 2017 by a gas explosion when he suffered fatal injuries due to flying debris. Bouder, an employee of UGI Utilities, was investigating a potential gas leak at a residence in Lancaster County Pennsylvania at the time of the explosion. Bounder was the utility worker dispatched to the home after reports of gas odor. The explosion leveled the home, killed Richard Bouder, and injured two others.
Earlier this month, more than 80 gas fires and explosions occurred in the Boston area, killing one person and injuring more than two dozen. A family that suffered serious injuries and lost their home in those explosions has filed a lawsuit against Columbia Gas.
One worker has died and three remain injured as a result of a recent tank battery explosion in Mead, Colorado. The explosion occurred after the workers completed upgrades to the tank battery. A tank battery is a group of connected tanks that receive produced crude oil from a well. The owner, Anadarko Petroleum Corp., stated that the Mead facility was not in service at the time of the blast.
On April 20, 88-year-old Dwain Spruiell and his wife, Cathy, were hosting out of town relatives when their home suddenly and unexpectedly exploded. The force of the blast leveled their home and shattered the windows at a nearby church. The Navarro County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the explosion, but the home's propane system is suspected to be the root cause.
Pengxuan "Dean" Diao was 23 years old when a Southern California Gas Co. employee opened a natural gas valve that activated a gas line that ran to the garage apartment where he was sleeping on January 19, 2011. The room filled with natural gas and exploded when Diao woke up and lit a cigarette.
The Texas Railroad Commission issued a report last week after investigating a June explosion at the Elgin, Texas home of Marcus and Victoria Newman, which destroyed the Newmans' home and severely burned their 17-year-old son, Marcus. The RRC, which includes home propane distribution as part of its energy regulation portfolio, found several safety violations, including a failure by the company that serviced the Newmans' propane tank to conduct a required inspection.
Early Tuesday morning, two adult males and one adult female were injured when their home exploded in Willis in Montgomery County. The incident occurred at about 5 a.m. at a three-bedroom, wood frame home on Mandy Lane near Rogers in the Willis area. The three adults were rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital by LifeFlight helicopter service. According to Memorial Hermann, one patient was in critical condition, one patient was in serious condition, and the third was in fair condition. Based on the photographs posted online by the local news stations, it is a miracle that anyone survived the explosion.
An affluent suburb of Chicago was recently rocked by a suspected gas explosion.
The explosion happened last Friday in the village of Long Grove, which is approximately 35 miles north of Chicago. The blast happened in the prestigious Royal Melbourne subdivision of the village.