Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Houston, Texas
Motorcycle riders share a love of freedom, the open road, and incredible scenery. As liberating as motorcycles can be, riders are incredibly vulnerable on the road. Automobiles are built with steel, fiberglass, airbags, and an array of other safety features to protect the driver. Motorcycles offer a helmet. When the two collide, especially at high speeds, the automobile has damage, but injuries to the motorcycle rider and passenger are often life-threatening.
Motorists are trained to look for cars, trucks, and buses, but rarely are they actively looking for motorcycles. Intersections are especially dangerous. With so many vehicles going in different directions, most drivers spend only a second or two looking for other automobiles. While this is usually enough time to see cars and judge their speed and distance, motorcycles are notoriously more challenging to see. In an instant, failing to specifically look for motorcycles can prove deadly.The lawyers at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner have helped with motorcycle accident victims for decades. The dedicated staff has seen and experienced first-hand the devastation a motorcycle crash can produce. Injuries are often life-altering and catastrophic. Motorcycle riders can suffer temporary or permanent disability, brain damage, or paralysis. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle collision due to a driver’s careless or negligent acts, call our Houston, Texas, motorcycle accident attorneys. You can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling 713-244-5477.
Why Do I Need A Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Many accident victims assume the at-fault driver’s insurance company will step in to cover their medical bills and other expenses related to the crash. When they receive a call from an insurance company, they believe the insurance adjuster will be sympathetic to their injuries and trauma. It may be surprising to hear, but answering seemingly harmless questions can do serious damage to your claim.
When it comes to liability in a motorcycle accident, taking any responsibility for the crash can reduce your settlement or have it denied altogether. Insurance companies are only out to protect their bottom line and will use the things you say against you, if possible. That is why it is critical to have an experienced motorcycle accident attorney guide you through the process and negotiate on your behalf. If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash due to a driver’s careless or negligent acts, you deserve compensation for your medical bills, damage to your bike, and possibly more.
Some insurance adjusters will pressure accident and crash victims to answer all their questions, insisting there is no need for representation. However, it is important you know you are not required to speak with an insurance company before finding a Houston motorcycle accident attorney and that the adjuster does not work for you.
Some questions that may be harmful to your case if answered are;
- How did the crash occur?
- From what direction were you traveling?
- Were you wearing a helmet at the time of the accident?
- Did the weather play a role in the accident?
- Were there witnesses to the accident? What is their information?
- Were you treated at the scene, or were you taken to the hospital by paramedics?
- Did you refuse any medical treatment either at the scene or the hospital?
- Were you hurt?
Never play down the extent of your injuries. It can be critical to your claim for two reasons:
- You may not be aware of the full extent of your injuries right away. Following a motorcycle accident, adrenaline floods the body and can mask injuries. Delayed injuries can take hours, days, or even weeks to cause pain. Sometimes diagnostic testing, orthopedic treatment, and chiropractic treatment can reveal that known injuries are much more severe than previously thought.
- If you have told the insurance adjuster your injuries were minor, only for them to become more severe later on, the insurance company will use your initial statement against you. They can argue your injuries were made worse by something else not related to the accident. In this instance, your claim could be drastically reduced.
At Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner, our Texas motorcycle accident attorneys will protect your rights. Most personal injury claims rest on the skills and resources of the attorney. We have over 70 years of experience in Houston personal injury claims. Our aggressive team will fight to secure the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Is Hiring a Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorney Expensive?
At Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner, we believe in putting our clients first. We do not charge legal fees unless we have successfully recovered the damages you are owed. Our dedicated attorneys are ready for a free consultation of your case.
After a motorcycle accident, victims are left with mounting medical bills and are often out of work while they recover. It is essential they get the settlement that is fair and that they deserve in order to put the pieces of their life back together. If you are hurt, the insurance company will offer you less than you deserve. Contact our motorcycle accident lawyers in Houston, Texas, today.
What Questions Should I Ask My Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Meeting with a prospective attorney about your case can be nerve-racking. If you have never filed a claim before or dealt with lawyers, the entire process can seem daunting. Choosing an attorney is a very personal matter. You need a personal injury attorney that makes you feel comfortable and has the experience and skills required to maximize your settlement. If the insurance company denies your claim, your attorney needs to be a skilled litigator. Here are a few important questions to help guide your consultation.
- What percentage of your cases are motorcycle accidents?
- What is my case worth?
- Who will I communicate with? Will we communicate by phone or email?
- What is your fee structure?
- How many motorcycle accident cases have been settled out of court?
- Do you have litigation experience?
Most motorcycle accident cases are settled with the insurance company out of court. However, sometimes a reasonable settlement cannot be reached. In that case, it is imperative that you have an experienced litigator by your side. Our personal injury attorneys have been fighting on their clients’ behalf since 1951. The dedicated team at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner has earned a reputation as one of the most experienced and successful legal representation in Houston, Texas. Let our distinguished motorcycle accident lawyers get the settlement you deserve for your injuries.
What Are the Statistics for Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycle accidents are often severe and can be fatal. While motorists are surrounded by a steel cage loaded with airbags, and motorcycle riders have little to no protection.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in the last reporting year;
- Approximately 82,000 motorcyclists suffered injuries from a crash
- 4,985 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents
- Motorcyclists account for 14% of all fatalities on the road
- In Texas alone, more than 1,800 motorcyclists were seriously injured in traffic accidents
- 412 motorcyclists suffered fatal injuries
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 61% of motorcycle deaths occurred in a 6-month period between May and October
- 30% of motorcycle fatalities happened in an intersection
- Motorcyclists die nearly every day on Texas roads
Motorcycle accidents have become a serious problem on Texan roads. Safety experts have pushed the program, Look Twice for Motorcycles. The program urges motor vehicle drivers to;
- Pay extra attention when making left-hand turns
- Take care at intersections
- Look twice before changing lanes
- Do not follow too close or pass too close. Motorcyclists need room.
- Follow the speed limit
- Beware of distracted driving
If you or someone you know has been hurt in a motorcycle accident due to a careless driver, Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner is here for you. Our expert motorcycle accident attorneys will handle your case so you can focus on your family and your recovery.
Are There Common Causes for Motorcycle Accidents?
2019 went on record as the deadliest year for motorcyclists in Texas. Some of the common causes of accidents are;
78% of motorcycle accidents occur when a car strikes the front of the bike. Head-on collisions are the deadliest type of motorcycle accident.
Motor vehicles making a left-hand turn
When a car or truck makes a left-hand turn, usually at an intersection, motorcycle riders are less visible than other motor vehicles. Unless the driver is looking for motorcycles, they often do not see them until it is too late. Frequently;
- The motorcyclist is going straight through the intersection
- Passing the car
- Or making a right-hand turn on the opposite side of the intersection
Distracted driving has reached near epidemic levels, especially in major cities such as Houston. Increasingly, drivers are checking their phones for emails, texts, and social media alerts. Looking away from the road for an instant is enough to cost a motorcycle rider their life.
Motorcycles are less equipped to handle obstructing objects in the road. Due to their smaller size, uneven heights between lanes, potholes, dead animals, and hazardous weather conditions affect motorcyclists more than other motor vehicles.
For example, if a car swerves into the motorcyclist’s lane, they are not as equipped to perform evasive maneuvers. Another vehicle can be run off the road, correct itself, and move back onto the street. Motorcycles have difficulty riding over gravel, dirt, grass, and uneven roads and may crash into a building or oncoming traffic in the same scenario.
Sometimes cars drive recklessly, disobeying street signs, speeding excessively, running red lights, and driving while intoxicated. If a motorist does not take care of how they drive and hits a motorcyclist, the consequences can be catastrophic.
Failure to look for motorcyclists
Most motorists are trained to look for other cars. However, drivers need to specifically look for motorcycle drivers who are not as easily seen. Sometimes drivers forget to check their blind spots before changing lanes, ending in disaster.
What Are Common Injuries from Motorcycle Crashes?
Motorcyclists are vulnerable to every hazard on the road. Bad weather conditions, obstructions in the road, and especially negligent drivers can cause serious and deadly consequences. While drivers often take one hit, usually cushioned by an airbag, motorcyclists have two impacts; the car and the road. Some of the most common injuries include;
Traumatic brain injuries
Even if a motorcyclist wears a helmet, they can sustain serious head injuries. When hit at high speeds, a motorcycle victim can hit multiple objects, including the car, nearby structures, and finally, the pavement. Traumatic brain injuries can be life-altering. Victims can suffer life-long seizures, chronic headaches, difficulties speaking, sleep apnea, and personality changes. Traumatic brain injuries can cause confusion, difficulty thinking, mood swings, and memory loss.
Spinal cord injuries
Spinal cord injuries are the most common in a motorcycle accident. Very often, a victim’s neck is directly struck, disjointed, hyperextended, causing catastrophic injuries. Paraplegia and paralysis are common, sometimes permanent. It may take a motorcycle victim years of surgeries, hospital stays, and rehabilitation to recover.
When a motorcyclist is struck, the blunt-force trauma can injure organs and can cause internal bleeding. Sometimes, complications can lead to surgery and long-term care.
After being hit by a vehicle, motorcyclists often slide along the road, pavement, or ground. Even at slower speeds, road rash can be more than a minor scrape. Motorcyclists have been known to suffer severe bruising, burns, permanent nerve damage, and infections.
Broken, fractured, or dislocated bones
Even with a helmet, when a motorcyclist is thrown off their bike, they can suffer a fractured skull and severe head injuries. Fractured ribs, broken limbs, broken neck, and broken collar bones are also typical in motorcycle accidents.
Serious road rash can cause the rapid deterioration of muscle tissue. When a person is thrown from a motorcycle at high speeds, they will hit the pavement and slide, coming to a gradual halt. As they slide, the abrasive road will scrape off layer after layer. In severe cases, the muscle tissue left behind is necessary for basic human functions.
Sometimes the blunt-force trauma of being struck by a vehicle and thrown can cause irreparable damage to the limbs. Doctors are forced to amputate in the emergency room. The emotional distress of being disfigured and permanently disabled can cause post-traumatic stress.
At Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner, we understand the devastation your injuries can cause you and your family. Our Houston motorcycle accident lawyers are standing by for a free consultation today, some have even experienced motorcycle crashes personally.
What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
Riding a motorcycle is a very freeing experience. When things go wrong, the experience can turn to horror. Motorcycle riders need to be aware of the steps to take in case of an accident. These steps will ensure your safety and will protect your rights.
- Get to safety. If you are able to look around, see if you are in harm’s way. Are you in the middle of the road with oncoming traffic? Chances are other motorists cannot see you lying in the street. If possible, get to safety off the road. Get up, get off the road, and leave the bike until it is safe to approach.
- It may be tempting to remove your helmet and other protective gear, but medical experts say to keep your equipment in place. The shock of the accident and rush of adrenaline may prevent you from feeling the extent of your injuries. If you remove your helmet, you may cause your injuries to worsen. Wait for the paramedics.
- Call 911 or have someone call 911.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you think you have only suffered minor injuries, it is important to have a medical professional examine you. Some injuries can be delayed. It may take hours, days, or weeks for symptoms to appear. Diagnostics can reveal internal damage, fractures, and head trauma before they become life-threatening. Often times the shock and adrenaline of a crash will mask the extent of your injuries.
- Gather all the evidence you can. If you are able, take pictures from different angles, write notes, and make sure you get a police report and copy. Insurance companies will fight harder if the crash is not properly documented.
- Make sure to get information from the driver: swap insurance information, policy numbers, and contact information.
- Prepare yourself with a motorcycle accident attorney in Houston that can help guide you through the process and speak on your behalf to the insurance company. Abraham Watkins’ experienced lawyers have helped motorcycle accident victims in Houston, Texas, for decades.
Why Choose Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner As You Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
For over 70 years, Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner has served the city of Houston and its surrounding areas. Our motorcycle accident lawyers in Houston, Texas, have earned a high reputation amongst their peers as some of the city’s top litigators. We have the skill and resources to obtain critical evidence in your case and use it to maximize your settlement with the insurance company. While our exceptional Houston personal injury attorneys settle your claim, you can focus on your recovery.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident due to the negligent or careless acts of another, call Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner to secure the fair compensation you deserve, including;
- Full compensation of your medical expenses
- Lost wages if you are unable to work
- Loss of future income damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against a grossly negligent party
When you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash, let the highly skilled and highly sought accident attorneys at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner protect your rights. You can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or by calling 713-244-5477.
We offer a free consultation to prospective clients. If you have been injured and wish to speak to one of our attorneys in a no-cost consultation, please call us at (713) 222-7211. or toll free at 713-222-7211
Real trial lawyers, real results
Our Record of Success
Chemical Plant Fire