The FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) is responsible for regulating and providing safety oversight of commercial motor vehicles and enforces federal laws that apply to commercial truck drivers.
The FMCSA recently released its list of proposed regulation changes which are aimed at preventing commercial truck accidents across the country. According to the FMCSA’s Significant Rulemaking Report issued last September, the changes proposed by the FMCSA “prioritize safety and security, promote innovation, and foster a consistent regulatory approach to automated driving systems.”
The proposed regulation changes include:
1. Automatic Emergency Brakes – The FMSCA will require heavy commercial vehicles to be equipped with automatic emergency brakes and to standardize automatic emergency brake systems.
2. Advanced Safety Fitness Procedures – This proposal calls for the use of data and other resources to effectively “identify unfit motor carriers and to remove them from the nation’s roadways.”
3. Truck Speed Limits – This proposal would equip trucks that weigh more than 26,000 pounds (including tractor-trailers) with devices that limit the maximum speed.
4. Consumer Complaint Information – Commercial truck carriers that transport commercial goods will be required to publish quarterly reports of all complaints received from consumers and shippers.
5. Revisions to Medical Examiner’s Handbook – This proposal will provide “guidance to medical examiners on the physical qualification standards in the FMCSR and the conduct of the physical qualification examination” which is required to maintain a commercial driver’s license and to operate a commercial motor vehicle.
All changes proposed by the FMCSA are subject to public comment and government approval before going into effect.
If you or someone you love has been injured as a result of someone else’s negligent acts, contact an experienced attorney at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner by calling 713-222-7211 or 1-800-870-9584 for your free consultation. The law firm of Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner is the longest standing personal injury firm in Texas, and our attorneys are standing by to assist with your claim.