Two Killed in Fire Caused by E-Scooter’s Lithium-Ion Battery

Recently, a 5-year-old girl and a 36-year-old woman were killed in an apartment fire that was sparked by the lithium-ion battery from an electric scooter.  The child’s father survived the fire but went to the hospital in critical condition.

Lithium-ion batteries from electronic bikes and scooters have been implicated in numerous fires the past couple of years. Part of the reason for the rise in numbers is because the popularity of e-bikes has grown dramatically in recent years. Some of the rise in use of electronic bikes and scooters coincided with the increase of delivery services during the COVID pandemic.

Experts say the issue is often linked to aging, damaged or malfunctioning batteries and charging devices.  As a result, many fire departments nationwide have warned of the dangers of lithium-ion batteries in electronic bikes and scooters. Some fire departments have provided guidance related to lithium-ion batteries. Among the tips:  before buying one make sure it has the UL Mark, which means it has been tested and meets safety standards. Also, to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging, storage and only use that company’s power cords. Lithium-ion batteries are also found in cellphones, laptops, and electronic cars, but there have not been widespread reports of these items catching fire. 

Due to fire dangers associated with electronic bikes and scooters some apartment complexes and government housing buildings have placed restrictions on residents keeping them on the premises.

If you or someone you know has been injured as the result of a fire involving an electronic bike or scooter, please contact an attorney at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner by calling 713-222-7211 or toll-free at 1‑800-870-9584.