Family awarded $5 million after Woman dies of Carbon Monoxide

On March 25th, 2019, Clare Castleman a resident of The Palladian at Fairhope apartment complex called maintenance after one of her alarms was activated. The maintenance worker determined that a combination smoke/carbon monoxide detector was the cause of the alarm and instead of fixing the alarm or replacing it, all detectors were removed from Ms. Castleman’s unit.

Hours later, Ms. Castleman vehicle that was stored in an enclosed garage and had a keyless ignition was found running and producing carbon monoxide. Ms. Castleman was found unresponsive in her apartment.

Ms. Castleman’s family sued the apartment management company, Gateway Management. The case was tried, and the jury awarded the family $5 million dollars.

When someone is injured or dies as a result of an accident, financial recovery may be available. Such recovery is particularly important when permanent, life-changing injuries are incurred. It is important to contact someone who understands the intricacies of the injured party’s right to recover.

If you or someone you know has been injured in an accident, contact an attorney at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner by calling 713-222-7211 or toll-free at 1-800-594-4884. Abraham Watkins offers a free consultation to anyone wishing to pursue a claim for such injuries or fatalities.