An electrical utility company is being sued for at least $4,500,000 after one of its downed power lines electrocuted a man in his backyard. On July 16, 2016, Thomas Poynton, Jr. heard a loud explosion in his backyard and went into his backyard to investigate the noise. As soon as Poynton stepped out of his backdoor and his foot hit the ground, he was electrocuted. A 34,500-volt transmission line had fallen 70 feet from Poynton’s house, supercharging the ground in his backyard. Poynton was on the ground being shocked by electricity from the power line for 45 minutes before the utility shut off power to the area, finally allowing first responders to attend Poynton and his burning house.
The lawsuit alleges the defendant utility company violated public utility codes and created hazardous conditions by improperly installing clamps on the power line and negligently maintaining the power line’s ground-fault protection system, which caused the subject incident.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed under the same or similar circumstances, call the law firm of Abraham Watkins today. It is imperative that you find a law firm to manage your claim as soon as possible following an injury or death of a family member. Further, it is important to find a skilled law firm with experience handling these cases to ensure that the responsible parties are held fully accountable.
The law firm of Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz, & Stogner is the oldest personal injury firm in Texas, and our attorneys are standing by to assist with your claim. Call us today at 713-396-3964 or 1-800-594-4884 for your free consultation.