Apartment Complex Sued Over Malfunctioning Smoke Detectors and Alarms

The son of an Austin man recently filed suit against an apartment complex, after his father died in a fire that started after lightning hit the complex nearly a year ago. The child’s father was sleeping at the time the fire started, and the smoke alarms in his unit did not activate. According to the lawsuit, the smoke detectors and fire alarms in the complex were not properly functioning due to their age and improper maintenance.

An apartment owner has a duty to maintain a safe living area for its residents, to adequately test and inspect fire alarm systems, train its employees to identify dangerous hazards at the complex, and to keep its complex in compliance with local, state, and federal codes and regulations requiring approved smoke detectors, alarms, and fire extinguishers. Violations of these duties and regulations are dangerous and may result in serious injury or death, as alleged in this tragedy and, unfortunately, many others like it where managers and owners do not take fire safety seriously.

The attorneys at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner have been fighting for the rights of people injured by the negligence of others for decades. If you or someone you know has been injured because the smoke detectors, fire alarms, or extinguishers in an apartment complex did not work properly, or by any other negligence of the employees, managers, or owners of an apartment complex, contact the experienced attorneys at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner at (713) 222-7211 or toll free at 713-222-7211.