A woman was literally eaten alive by parasitic mites while the staff at her nursing home looked on. In 2015, forensic pathologists found 93-year-old Rebecca Zeni had died from “septicemia due to crusted scabies” after millions of parasitic mites, known as scabies, essentially ate Zeni alive over several months or possibly years while the nursing home did nothing to stop it. The forensic pathologist described her death as “one of the most horrendous things [he’s] ever seen in [his] career” and believes she died a most painful death.
Now, the family of Zeni has filed a lawsuit, alleging that Shepherd Hills Nursing Home in Georgia knew about Zeni’s medical condition and failed to take any action to stop or treat it. In addition, State health officials were notified about a scabies outbreak at the nursing home multiple times but never inspected the facility.
Scabies, a painful but treatable condition, is caused when parasitic mites burrow in the skin, lay eggs, and survive by eating the host body. Scabies is the third most common skin disease in children and the elderly. The skin affliction can be minor and easily treated with no lasting effects. However, when left untreated, the damages can be severe resulting in flaky, raw, and crusted skin.
According to documents obtained from the Georgia Department of Public Health, state officials had been notified of a scabies outbreak at the Shepherd Hills Nursing Home in 2013, 2014, and in 2015. The 2015 report shows at least 35 residents and staff were exposed to scabies, the same year that Zeni died.
If you or someone you know has been injured or killed due to the , hospital, or medical provider, contact an experienced attorney at neglect of a nursing homeAbraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner by calling 713-396-3964 or toll free at 800-594-4884.