On February 23, a fatal gas explosion occurred in a northwest Dallas neighborhood. The explosion leveled a family’s home severely injuring four people and killing 12-year-old girl. Following the explosion, more than 300 other residences, including 2,800 people, were evacuated from the neighborhood.
The little girl’s family filed a lawsuit accusing Atmos Energy of gross negligence. The lawsuit alleges that the energy company had many prior warnings about dangerous leaks in the neighborhood where the explosion occurred, but failed to take appropriate precautions. Some of these warnings came just 48 hours before the explosion and included residents in the neighborhood complaining of a natural gas smell. The family is seeking over $1,000,000 in monetary relief, along with punitive damages.
On April 2, four more people in Dallas were injured in an explosion that is thought to be gas-related and linked to Atmos Energy. The explosion occurred at a duplex in the 3700 block of Spring Avenue shortly before 1 a.m. Two of the four people living in the duplex were rushed to the hospital, one of them with serious burns. Atmos Energy responded to this incident and shut off the gas to investigate.
If you or someone you know has been affected by negligent gas or utility companies, it is important to find a skilled law firm with experience handling these cases to ensure that companies are held fully accountable. The law firm of Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner is the oldest personal injury firm in Texas, and our attorneys are standing by to assist with your claim. Call us today at 713-396-3964 or 800-594-4884 for your free consultation.