Bicycle Insurance

Everyone knows insurance is available for purchase to cover a car on car collision; it is a state law requirement. So what coverage is available for a bicyclist? Comprehensive bicycle insurance is not sold in the United States unlike some European countries. What happens when a person on a bicycle is injured, or hit by a car? For a car on bicyclist collision the driver’s liability insurance can cover the bicyclist’s injuries. However, what if the driver’s insurance is not enough or the driver doesn’t have any insurance? A bicyclist can use their Underinsured/Uninsured motorist coverage.

Hopefully you have Underinsured/Uninsured motorist coverage, if not you should probably get it. Because it can save you when there is not enough coverage or the driver doesn’t have any insurance, and in this case when you are on a bicycle and hit by a car. The state minimum for insurance is $30,000.The Underinsured/Uninsured follows the person, even if they are on a bicycle. So if your UIM/UM coverage is $100,000 and some reckless driver who doesn’t have insurance runs you over and you have $50,000 in medical bills, you can claim against your own insurance to get those medical bills paid. This is an important fact to know for any bicyclist as this can cover them for any times they are injured by cars. The catch to this is that the bicyclist will need to have an automobile, to have the UIM/UM coverage available. Also, the accident needs to involve a vehicle, as it is Underinsured motorist and there is usually no coverage for a non-auto accident such as a bicyclist on bicyclist. As always, be sure to check what the insurance policy specifically covers or does not cover.

If you or someone you know has been injured in a cycling accident, contact an attorney at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner by calling (713) 222-7211 or toll free at 713-222-7211.