We trust doctors, nurses and other medical professionals to exercise great care in the treatment they provide. Sometimes, however, they make mistakes — mistakes that can lead to catastrophic injury or even death. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury due to a doctor's mistake, hospital mistake or another error by a health care provider, you deserve compensation for your losses and suffering.
While nothing can make up for a serious medical injury or the death of a loved one, the compensation you receive can help you cope with the tragedy and go on with your life.
To learn how the medical malpractice lawyers at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto & Aziz can help with your injury, schedule a free consultation by calling 713-587-9668 (toll free 800-580-9121) or complete our online contact form.
Medical Malpractice Comes In All Forms
The Houston, Texas, medical malpractice attorneys at Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto & Aziz represent clients in all types of medical malpractice matters, including:
- Birth injuries, including those related to cerebral palsy, Erb's palsy, shoulder dystocia, pregnancy complications, brain damage and childbirth defects related to SSRI use
- Dangerous drugs such as Avandia, Paxil, Actos and others
- Hospital negligence
- Doctor errors, including surgical errors and a failure to diagnose
- Nursing errors
- Medication errors
- Nursing home negligence
- Defective medical devices
Nursing Home Negligence
Elder abuse in Texas nursing homes is a growing problem. Each day, hundreds of members of our elder population in and around Houston, Texas, are victimized. If your loved ones are victims of neglect or abuse in a nursing or residential facility, there are probably other residents in the facility who are also being neglected or abused; in fact, there is probably a continuing pattern of neglect at the facility.
In each nursing home negligence case we handle, we carefully study the facility's history of violations of both federal and state law to determine if there is a pattern of neglect. We also focus on staffing and training deficiencies, which are often the root cause of nursing home injuries.
Nursing home abuse and neglect takes a variety of forms:
- Negligent care: Failure to provide adequate care, resulting in death, amputations, falls, broken hips and bedsores
- Physical abuse: Inflicting physical pain or injury or unreasonably confining a senior
- Sexual abuse
- Exploitation: Illegally taking, misusing or concealing funds, property or assets
Signs of elder abuse are often subtle. Frequently, seniors who are being abused fail to report it. If a friend or relative has had unexplained injuries, bedsores, a broken hip or frequent falls and you suspect elder abuse or nursing home negligence, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit.
If the abuse has led to death, a wrongful death lawsuit might be warranted. Elder abuse law is complex and frequently changing. Hiring an experienced nursing home negligence attorney can make all the difference in the world.
Hospital And Doctor Errors
When patients enter a hospital for medical treatment, they believe that proper steps will be taken to resolve their medical problem. They hope for healing. They don't expect the care they receive will cause them further injury — or premature death. Yet every year in hospitals across Texas, dozens of patients are harmed due to the negligence of a doctor, nurse, pharmacist or hospital.
Is It Hospital Error or Just Bad Health?
For many people, it is hard to know if a negligent hospital error was the cause of their injury or if their existing health problem was the issue. No one wants to believe their doctor was negligent and few people have the in-depth understanding of medical care needed to identify medical malpractice.
Since 1951, our experienced medical malpractice lawyers and on-staff medical team have achieved significant financial settlements and verdicts for people who were injured due to hospital errors such as:
- Medication errors, which can occur when patients receive the wrong drug, an improper dosage of a drug, tainted or dangerous drugs, or drugs they should never have received because of drug interactions or an allergic reaction to the drug.
- Surgical errors, which can occur when the wrong patient file is reviewed, when the wrong part of the body is operated on and when foreign objects such as sponges and surgical tools are left in the body.
- Misdiagnosis or a failure to diagnose, which can occur when there is a failure to order tests, a failure to review test data in a timely manner or a failure to refer to a specialist when necessary.
You may not be sure if your injury was caused by negligence, but if you even suspect that you were injured due to medical malpractice, talk to an attorney. Sometimes it is important just to have answers and to finally know the truth. And if your injuries were the result of hospital error, it is also important to get justice and compensation for your injuries and losses.
Our attorneys and in-office medical staff will listen to you and advise on steps you can take. We can review your medical records and if we believe you have a case, we can access medical experts for further evaluation.
Making The Law Work For You
Legislation in Texas has made it more difficult for injured people and surviving family members to win in some medical malpractice cases. We pursue medical malpractice cases aggressively.
With more than 65 years of experience, we know how to evaluate medical malpractice cases and can give you guidance as to the prospects of recovery in your case. Having a medical doctor and nurse consultant on staff provides our medical malpractice clients with an important advantage in medical negligence litigation.
Contact Us For a Free Consultation
If you have been the victim of medical malpractice in Texas, you may be able to obtain compensation for your losses and suffering. We are ready to fight for your rights and your future.
For a free initial consultation with a Houston medical malpractice lawyer, call 713-587-9668 (toll free 800-580-9121) or contact us online.